Make Windchimes from Metal Cans

Spring is usually the time when wind-chimes come out to hang. I could see them hanging in many a houses but instead of buying one, I decided to challenge myself into making one. In the spirit of recycling, I began to look around for things that could be used to make windchimes. I narrowed down on metal as the material of choice because it had to make a sound when it clanked together. I also did a google search and saw a few ideas. I decided, metal cans it will be.
I spent most of spring collecting metal cans of various sizes. Finally I made two different kind of wind chimes.

Cascading Can Chime

When I looked at my collection of metal cans, I saw four of them fit inside each other just perfectly. That led me to this cascading wind chime design. I used tiny jingle bells to anchor the cans on the metal wire and also for the sound they make.

cascading metal can windchime


Materials:
metal cans of different sizes
metal beading wire
small bells
acrylic colors
  • Remove any labels from your metal cans. This can be done by soaking the cans in water for a few hours. Clean the cans to prepare them for painting.
  • I used bright acrylic colors to paint the cans. Do at least 4 coats of paint, letting the paint dry completely between coats. It is better to do more thin coats rather than fewer thick coats. Acrylic colors are water-proof once dry so it was the perfect choice for an outdoor windchime.
    painted metal cans
    Cans after one coat of paint
  • I added golden polka dots using the back of a wooden skewer.
  • Punch a hole at the center of the metal cans. Using a nail and hammer is ideal.
  • Cut out an approximate length of the metal wire. I used the total length of all the metal cans as a guide.
  • Tie one or more jingle bells at one end of the wire.
    bells for windchimes
  • Thread the wire through the smallest can so that it rests over the bells.
    making a windchime
  • Tie another bell a little above this can. Check the spacing to see that the next can will overlap this can.
  • Thread the second can so that it rests over the second bell.
  • Continue tying bells and hanging cans using the rest of your bells and cans.
  • Once the last can is hung, twist the remaining wire to form a loop for hanging the wind chime. I also used a little bit of duck tape to make the loop a little more secure.


The other Windchime

This is other windchime I decided to make with my leftover can collection. I used a plastic lid from a large yogurt container and used it to hang the cans in a more traditional windchime configuration.

metal can windchime


Materials:
metal cans
metal beading wire
small bells
acrylic colors
plastic or metal container lid
  • Remove any labels from your metal cans. This can be done by soaking the cans in water for a few hours. Clean the cans to prepare them for painting.
  • I used darker acrylic colors to paint the cans. Do at least 4 coats of paint, letting the paint dry completely between coats. It is better to do more thin coats rather than fewer thick coats. Acrylic colors are water-proof once dry so it was the perfect choice for an outdoor windchime. I also glued some buttons on the cans.
    All painted and ready
  • Punch a hole at the center of the metal cans and on the plastic lid at the points where the metal cans will be hung (I had 4 on the sides and one in the center) . Using a nail and hammer is ideal.
  • Cut out 5 equal (or unequal depending on your design) lengths of the metal wire.
  • Tie a jingle bell at one end of each wire. Thread the wire through the hole in the can so that it rests over the bell.
  • Thread the other end of the wire through the hole on the plastic lid and tie it in a knot. I also used duct tape for more secure hold.
  • Repeat this process and tie all the cans to the lid.
  • For the center can, leave some wire on the top to create a hanging loop before knotting it on the top of the lid.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Day trip to Nehru planetarium and science centre in Worli

A special Gujarati meal - Chana bataka nu shaak (black chickpeas and potato curry), Gujarati Kadhi

Recreating Turtle Empanadas : Empanadas filled with chocolate, caramel and walnuts