Citrus Marmalade muffins with almonds

I like to bake muffins as I have said before. I bake a tray of muffins and freeze the batch. It lasts us about a month. I make them healthy enough to be eaten at breakfast since they make for a quick, portable breakfast.

Today's muffins are a tad bit more indulgent. They could pass for dessert if you really try. :)
I had an overflow of citrus fruits in my fruit drawer and they were not getting eaten at all. So I made a marmalade to rescue them. The marmalade will have a blog post of its own sometime later. I made marmalade muffins from some of that homemade marmalade.

Marmalade Muffins
adapted from Poppytalk

The citrus zest and vanilla make it one amazingly scented packet. I could love it for just the smell but it tastes delicious too. I think it is a better use of marmalade than even spreading on buttered toast.

marmalade muffins


Ingredients:
1/2 cup all purpose flour (maida)
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tbsp vanilla
1 egg
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup marmalade
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup peeled and chopped apple (optional)
  • Preheat oven to 375 F.
  • Whisk together AP flour, wheat flour, baking powder and salt.
  • In a separate bowl, mix together milk, butter, vanilla, honey and egg.
  • Add the wet ingredients to the flour mix and stir together until mixed. Do not overwork the batter.
  • Stir in the marmalade, apple and almonds. The marmalade can be left a little streaky.
  • whole wheat marmalade muffin batter
  • Fill into a muffin pan and bake for 20 minutes. Start checking at 17 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. This recipe makes 12 muffins.
  • marmalade muffins
  • Remove from pan after 5 minutes and cool on wire rack.
Marmalade muffins with almonds
streaked with marmalade and studded with almonds
Notes:

  • I used 1 tbsp flaxseed powder mixed with 3 tbsp water, set aside for 5 minutes, as egg substitute. I had run out of eggs.
  • I used half of an apple I had lying around in the muffins but it is optional. I think it gave the muffin some additional sweetness which was nice.
  • I blanched, peeled and chopped the almonds. Then I toasted the pieces in the microwave for 45 seconds.
  • I hardly ever use butter in place of oil for muffins but I thought butter and marmalade is a perfect match. I wanted to play up that flavour.

I am sending these muffins to Cake Mela at cooking4allseasons where cakes, muffins, cupcakes and all other types of cakes will join the mela.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Day trip to Nehru planetarium and science centre in Worli

A special Gujarati meal - Chana bataka nu shaak (black chickpeas and potato curry), Gujarati Kadhi

Recreating Turtle Empanadas : Empanadas filled with chocolate, caramel and walnuts