About Me

Hello. I started this blog to write about what I do in my chosen profession : a housewife. Some day I might cook or bake something interesting and enlist my 2 year old to help, on another day I make something from scratch instead of buying it from the store and sometimes I craft with my daughter. Once in a while, we travel or have a fun day outside. I am also doing what I can to recycle and reduce waste. I am still learning all of this and documenting my journey through this blog

Citrus Marmalade muffins with almonds

I like to bake muffins as I have said before. I bake a tray of muffins and freeze the batch. It lasts us about a month. I make them healthy enough to be eaten at breakfast since they make for a quick, portable breakfast.

Today's muffins are a tad bit more indulgent. They could pass for dessert if you really try. :)
I had an overflow of citrus fruits in my fruit drawer and they were not getting eaten at all. So I made a marmalade to rescue them. The marmalade will have a blog post of its own sometime later. I made marmalade muffins from some of that homemade marmalade.

Marmalade Muffins
adapted from Poppytalk

The citrus zest and vanilla make it one amazingly scented packet. I could love it for just the smell but it tastes delicious too. I think it is a better use of marmalade than even spreading on buttered toast.

marmalade muffins


Ingredients:
1/2 cup all purpose flour (maida)
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tbsp vanilla
1 egg
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup marmalade
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup peeled and chopped apple (optional)
  • Preheat oven to 375 F.
  • Whisk together AP flour, wheat flour, baking powder and salt.
  • In a separate bowl, mix together milk, butter, vanilla, honey and egg.
  • Add the wet ingredients to the flour mix and stir together until mixed. Do not overwork the batter.
  • Stir in the marmalade, apple and almonds. The marmalade can be left a little streaky.
  • whole wheat marmalade muffin batter
  • Fill into a muffin pan and bake for 20 minutes. Start checking at 17 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. This recipe makes 12 muffins.
  • marmalade muffins
  • Remove from pan after 5 minutes and cool on wire rack.
Marmalade muffins with almonds
streaked with marmalade and studded with almonds
Notes:

  • I used 1 tbsp flaxseed powder mixed with 3 tbsp water, set aside for 5 minutes, as egg substitute. I had run out of eggs.
  • I used half of an apple I had lying around in the muffins but it is optional. I think it gave the muffin some additional sweetness which was nice.
  • I blanched, peeled and chopped the almonds. Then I toasted the pieces in the microwave for 45 seconds.
  • I hardly ever use butter in place of oil for muffins but I thought butter and marmalade is a perfect match. I wanted to play up that flavour.

I am sending these muffins to Cake Mela at cooking4allseasons where cakes, muffins, cupcakes and all other types of cakes will join the mela.