Valentines for kids - Chocolate coated Pretzel heart treats

In my last post, I wrote that I made chocolate covered pretzel hearts as Valentines for my daughter's classmates last year. I thought today is the perfect day to write about them. They are a nice treat to snack on Valentines Day.
They are quite easy to make, infact it is not so much about making them as it is assembling them. I used a bag of small pretzels also called "tiny twists". They kind of look like tiny hearts.

I made my assembly line of pretzels, melted almond bark (white chocolate substitute) and red sugar sprinkles.

Going down my assembly line, I take a pretzel and dip it in the white candy coating. I use a fork to lift it out and let the excess drip back into the bowl. While the pretzel is still on the fork, I dip one side in the red sugar. Finally I lay the pretzel (sugar side up) on a foil lined sheet (for easy clean up).

When the almond bark starts to thicken, zap it in the microwave for half a minute or so till it gets nice and flowy again. Once I had my tray full of pretzels coated with the candy and sugar, I gave it some time to set up. Then I used the melted almond bark as glue to attach an M&M at the center of the pretzel. That gave it a more heart like appearance by hiding the center pretzel shape.


To package the pretzel treats, I used clear treat bags because the treats were too pretty not to show off ;) I used heart doilies as pretty labels. After adding a few pretzels to the bags, I folded the top of the bags down and punched two holes in it. I passed the string that came with the heart doilies through the two holes and tied the doilies to the treat bags.

It was a time consuming job to get a couple of trayfuls of the pretzel treats. The end result was totally pretty and delicious. My daughter still remembers these treats.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Day trip to Nehru planetarium and science centre in Worli

A special Gujarati meal - Chana bataka nu shaak (black chickpeas and potato curry), Gujarati Kadhi

Recreating Turtle Empanadas : Empanadas filled with chocolate, caramel and walnuts