Food for life

In this short article, I present my take on what "Food for life" means to me.

You might have heard that there are two types of people in this world : those who live to eat and those who eat to live. These two types are not as mutually exclusive as they seem. Infact, I consider myself as both of those types. I love to eat and food is a big part of my life but at the same time, I believe it is important to eat food which supports life; food that helps the body to function at its best. I look at it as thanking the body for all it does for me.
We and our children see food all around us. The children are bombarded with cola blasts and soupy noodles everytime they turn on their favourite cartoon, which usually is Chota Bheem :) This constant food imagery makes it hard, even for adults, to cue in on their hunger.
If we can learn to listen to your body, it can really tell us what, when and how much food it wants. Yesterday, my body was ravenous. I needed bits of food all through the day. I wanted rice for dinner and something sweet. I listened to my body and made kadhi chawal. Then I ate a small scoop of mango icecream. No guilt, please. On normal days, I love to eat rotis. I hardly ever snack except for some fruit in the evening. Although, this is easier said than done, just tune into your body. It definitely takes work to listen to the body and break the old habits. I am still working on it everyday.
We need to go back to loving and respecting our food, not being afraid of it; looking at food as the supporter of life; enjoying food and giving our body what it needs.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Day trip to Nehru planetarium and science centre in Worli

A special Gujarati meal - Chana bataka nu shaak (black chickpeas and potato curry), Gujarati Kadhi

Recreating Turtle Empanadas : Empanadas filled with chocolate, caramel and walnuts