DIY rakhis for kids and babies

Rakshabandhan is around the corner. I thought, why not try to make a rakhi instead of buying it; especially for the kids. It would be a fun activity for the daughter. It was a school holiday in the middle of the week due to Maharashtra bandh. This was a good way to utilize the day.

I looked around the internet and saw a couple of DIY rakhi ideas. Then it hit me that we have a flower kit in which there are foam flower cutouts which can be stacked on straws to make flower branches.

I thought of staking the foam flowers to create a rakhi. I used some decorations from a broken bracelet and old rakhis to give it a finished look. I used wool threads to create the string for tying.

Here's how I did it.
  • Cut out woollen thread. I measured around my wrist and doubled the length.

  • Tie 3 threads together with a sewing thread. I used 2 orange and 1 yellow thread. I used red thread to tie them together.

  • My daughter braided one to make a cohesive thread. For the other one, she wrapped the 2 orange threads around one another and then wrapped the yellow thread around the orange. I think the 2nd one turned out better.

  • Take two different sized foam flowers. Glue the thread between the two flowers. I used fevibond. Hot glue can also be used.

  • Then I glued a plastic flower shape from an old bracelet and a golden flower shape from an old rakhi on top.

I think it turned out good for minimal effort.


We also did another craft that day. The daughter also wanted to make a badge. She was appointed the "Chalk monitor". Yes, they have a monitor for everything these days. :)
She took permission from her teacher to make a badge.

We had an old badge. I cut out circles from the thin cardboard that is inside the shirt folds when you buy a new shirt. Glued it on the badge. The daughter coloured it with watercolour marker. Then she wrote on it and made some designs.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Day trip to Nehru planetarium and science centre in Worli

A special Gujarati meal - Chana bataka nu shaak (black chickpeas and potato curry), Gujarati Kadhi

Recreating Turtle Empanadas : Empanadas filled with chocolate, caramel and walnuts