Birthday party with slime cake and "Be a chef" activities

My daughter has her birthday in October. This year she had a double whammy on her birthday with half yearly exam and Navratri. So we decided to have a birthday party after the exams and also after Navratri.
The first order of business while planning any birthday party is the cake. My daughter is 100% into slime these days. This phase started almost 2 years ago and is going stronger than ever. All she thinks about is making slime, watching slime videos on youtube and playing with slime. So naturally, I thought of doing a slime themed cake. A quick search on google images led me to my inspiration image.

slime cake
Slime cake

I made a four-layered eggless vanilla cake using this recipe. Eggless because some of the children do not eat eggs. I made 1.5 times the recipe and got 3 round cakes and a small square cake. I would have got 4 round cakes if I had filled the first batch a little less. Tastewise, the cake was good but it was not structurally strong. Almost all the cakes cracked at different times after coming out of the pan. But the frosting covered all the flaws.
I made chocolate whipped cream frosting using this recipe. This trick uses lemon juice to thicken up Amul cream which does not enough fat to whip up into a thick frosting by itself. We could taste a hint of lemon if we tasted the frosting by itself but with the cake, it was perfectly fine.

vanilla cake with chocolate whipped cream frosting
cake covered in chocolate whipped cream

To make the slime, I made a white chocolate ganache using an equal measure of chopped white chocolate and cream. Just heat the cream and chocolate in the microwave for about a minute, in 30-second intervals. Then just stir it up to make a smooth ganache. I mixed some gel food colour to get green slime coloured ganache.

After the cake was stacked and covered with the whipped cream frosting, I let it chill in the fridge for a couple of hours. Then I placed a clean and empty slime container on top and created dripping slime by pouring the coloured ganache on top using a spoon. Most of this was done by the daughter.

cake chilling in the fridge

The second order of business at birthday parties is activities and then food. I combined both because I thought the kids are old enough to make their own food ;) Not really, I had cookie decorating and pizza assembling activities in which the kids could eat what they created. A few months ago, one of my friends told me about a birthday party her daughter attended where they did activities related to cooking. Using that idea, I designed activities which I thought the daughter and her friends would enjoy while also being doable for me.

For cookie decorating, I put out some Goodday cookies, coloured white chocolate ganaches and 2 types of sprinkles. I can safely assume that this was a big hit.

Cookies decorated with white chocolate ganache and sprinkles
cookies decorated with ganache and sprinkles cookies decorated with ganache and sprinkles cookies decorated with ganache and sprinkles

After this, the kids played some traditional birthday party games like passing the parcel. Cake cutting followed along with a round of cake, potato chips, and mango juice. These are pretty much non-negotiable at kids parties :)

The last activity was assembling pizzas and eating them. I had prepared pizza sauce in advance. I will post the recipe sometime in the near future. I laid out pizza bases, pizza sauce, grated cheese, toppings like sliced onions, capsicums, olives, cooked corn, mushrooms sauteed in olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs, paneer marinated and cooked with ginger, garlic, yogurt, salt, coriander powder, and turmeric. The kids first applied the pizza sauce, spread the cheese and put on the toppings of their choice. The most popular toppings were olives and corn. Then I cooked the pizzas on pans on the stove top, cut them into slices, and served them. Pizzas take long and low heat to melt the cheese on the stove top without burning the crusts. So they are not ideal to cook in a rush. I did not have nice and melty cheese on the pizzas due to this.


The kids got barrel of slimes as return gifts and they were very happy about that. The birthday girl was also very happy with the variety of presents she received. :)


Comments

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your feedback! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Day trip to Nehru planetarium and science centre in Worli

A special Gujarati meal - Chana bataka nu shaak (black chickpeas and potato curry), Gujarati Kadhi

Recreating Turtle Empanadas : Empanadas filled with chocolate, caramel and walnuts