DIY Condiments - homemade ketchup, homemade nutella and date-tamarind chutney

I used to buy bottles of ketchup and nutella but then I observed that the daughter was consuming large quantities of both of these condiments :). I switched to Heinz ketchup because they claim to be preservative-free but then I thought that it is so easy to make ketchup at home. Why am I not doing it myself? That's how I started on my DIY condiment making routine. Once ketchup was handled, I started making nutella. I am always worried about giving the kid any packaged products. Since she is not into eating our regular Indian food so much, these condiments are a way to get her to eat something healthy, like a vegetable paratha.

Homemade Tomato Ketchup
This is a very easy recipe with a handful of ingredients.
Ingredients:
1 kg red,juicy tomatoes
1/2 cupsugar
1/2 cupapple cider vinegar*
1/2 tspginger powder
1/2 tsppepper powder
1 to 1.5 tsp rock salt*
Method
  • Chop the tomatoes into large pieces and pressure cook them without water for 3 whistles on medium flame.*
  • Once cool, puree and strain the tomatoes into a large pot.
  • Add sugar, vinegar, ginger powder, pepper powder and salt. Boil the tomato mixture until thick. It would take around 30 minutes. The ketchup should coat the spoon instead of just falling off.
  • Cool and store in a refrigerated bottle for about two months.
Notes:
  • Any kind of vinegar can be used. I use apple cider vinegar.
  • I use rock salt for most of my cooking but any kind of salt can be used.
  • Juicy tomatoes release enough liquid to pressure cook without added water. If you feel your tomatoes are a bit dry or out of season, 2-3 tablespoons of water can be added for pressure cooking. Or just cook in a covered pan to check on the tomatoes if you are comfortable with that.


Homemade nutella substitute
Based on Splendid Table Homemade Nutella recipe
Ingredients:
1 cup mix of almonds and walnuts*
1/2 cup chopped chocolate
1 tbspcocoa powder
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tspsalt
2 tbspvirgin coconut oil*
1/2 tsppure vanilla extract
Method
  • Roast the nuts in an iron kadhai till they crisp up and slightly change colour.
  • Cool slightly. Grind them in a mixer jar into a coarse paste.*
  • Add the oil and process till it turns into a smoother paste.
  • Add the sugar, cocoa powder, salt and vanilla. Mix it up.
  • Melt the chopped chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring everytime. It takes about a minute and half to melt 90% of the chocolate. The rest will melt when you stir it.
  • Add the melted chocolate to the nut butter from the mixie jar and mix with a spatula.
  • Store in a jar in the refrigerator for 3-4 months.
Notes:
  • Nutella contains hazelnuts but here in India, we have almonds and walnuts readily available. So I use a 50:50 mix of them for best flavour.
  • Virgin coconut oil adds a slight coconut flavour to the spread. Any flavourless oil or virgin almond oil can be used instead.
  • You need a powerful mixer for this. I have a Preethi Blueleaf. If you are unsure if the mixer can handle it, use the food processor jar.


I also keep a jar of tamarind-date chutney in my refrigerator. The family favourite use for it is papdi chaat. I use this recipe for the chutney. But it uses too much water. I just use about 1/2 cup, just enough to soak the tamarind and dates. I follow the rest of the recipe as it is.

Comments

  1. This piece of writing presents clear idea in support of the new people of blogging, that actually how to do blogging.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your feedback! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Day trip to Nehru planetarium and science centre in Worli

A special Gujarati meal - Chana bataka nu shaak (black chickpeas and potato curry), Gujarati Kadhi

Recreating Turtle Empanadas : Empanadas filled with chocolate, caramel and walnuts